HAB Update: Toxin Levels
The Skaneateles Lake Association has confirmed the following information in conversation with the Onondaga County Department of Health. 8/9/18
The toxin level in “finished” (post treatment) drinking water provided by the City of Syracuse and the Village of Skaneateles to city, village and town residents and some towns outside the city of Syracuse was NON-DETECTABLE at the most recent testing.
- This means that the water sourced from the city and the village is SAFE for drinking by all.
- The “finished” water will continue to be tested every day until the toxin level is NON-DETECTABLE for three (3) consecutive days.
The toxin level in the raw (pre-treatment) water from Skaneateles Lake was 0.3μg/liter at the most recent testing.
- Toxin level of 0.3μg/liter or above is deemed unsafe for drinking by sensitive populations (infants and immunocompromised individuals).
- Toxin level of less than 4μg/liter is deemed safe for recreational use of the water (swimming, etc.). As a result, the Clift Park and Skaneateles Country Club waterfronts were permitted to be reopened on Thursday at the direction of the Onondaga County Department of Health.
Attention lakefront owners who draw their water directly from Skaneateles Lake: According to the New York State Department of Health, it is never advisable to drink water from a surface source unless it has been treated by a public drinking water system, regardless of the presence of HABs.